Re: solaris tape dev permission stupidity

From: Darren J Moffat - Enterprise Services OS Product Support Group (darren.moffatat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 01:17:57 PDT

    >under solaris, scsi tape devices (/dev/rmt/*, which are linked to the
    st@x,x:
    >devs in /devices) are created with the permissions bits set to 666. this
    allows
    >a mallicious user with a login on your system to 'mt erase' the contents of
    any
    >tape devices connected to your system.
    >
    >solution:
    >
    >this is a tough one. i'll let you figure it out yourself.

    Instead of guessing shall I tell you the correct fix!

    The correct and recommend fix is to run bsmconv to turn on device
    allocation.  This sets all of the device files for removable media devices
    such as tapes to 0000.  A user who then wants to use a tape should then:

            allocate st0
                    insert tape into drive
            tar/ufs*/cpio/dd  whatever
                    remove tape from drive
            dealloate st0

    The same applies to audio and cd devices, though the audio devices
    are better dealt with using /etc/logindevperm.

    If you are concerned about security on Solaris you should always
    run bsmconv to turn on auditing and device allocation and run ASET
    to ensure other perms etc are sorted out.  I would recommend running
    /usr/aset/aset -l high -p

    --
    Darren J Moffat