Re: solaris tape dev permission stupidity

From: Michael R. Eckhoff (foobarat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 22:03:11 PDT

    Along with MANY other problems.  I sent this into CERT and BSDi was also
    contacted by a friend of mine about this over a month ago.  BSDi came back
    and pretty much said that it was a sacrifice to make life easier on the
    admin (I can quote the message if anyone cares to read it word for word),
    which I was not very impressed with.  Now that this has been brought to
    bugtraq (I was going to take it through CERT so the vendors could be
    contacted first), most every commercial UNIX is setup this way.  The only
    ones I could find that were not were the free unixes such as Slackware,
    RedHat, *BSD, etc.  And I think think that Patrick Volkerding of Slackware
    fame said it best when I asked him why he chose not to set the tape devices
    this way with his reply of, "Common sense? :^)".

    Please note as some of the other problems that can arise are that any user
    can restore a protected password database as their own, mail spool files
    that are not theirs, etc.  As I described it to one person, "Is your data
    safe? Not if you back it up."  To expand on the mt erase problem, this with
    a nice at or cron job could render your months worth of backups useless
    since you'll be storing nothing but blank tapes and never even know it.

    IMHO, if you want to keep the 'ease of use' for trusted users to access the
    tape, create a new 'standard' group called 'tape' that gives full rights to
    the tape devices, and make the trusted users newgrp tape before they access
    it rather than open it up for everyone.

    Michael R. Eckhoff                                              Paranet Voice: 972.239.5544
    Sprint Paranet - CCL Dallas Hornets                             Project Voice: 972.652.2024
    mreckhofat_private                                            Parafax: 972.818.6374