Re: solaris tape dev permission stupidity

From: Tobias J. Kreidl (Tobias.Kreidlat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 11:24:10 PDT

    Darren J Moffat wrote:

    > Instead of guessing shall I tell you the correct fix!
    >
    > The correct and recommend fix is to run bsmconv to turn on device
    > allocation.  This sets all of the device files for removable media devices
    > such as tapes to 0000.  A user who then wants to use a tape should then:
    >
    >         allocate st0
    >                 insert tape into drive
    >         tar/ufs*/cpio/dd  whatever
    >                 remove tape from drive
    >         dealloate st0
    >
    > The same applies to audio and cd devices, though the audio devices
    > are better dealt with using /etc/logindevperm.
    >

    > If you are concerned about security on Solaris you should always
    > run bsmconv to turn on auditing and device allocation and run ASET
    > to ensure other perms etc are sorted out.  I would recommend running
    > /usr/aset/aset -l high -p

    Another alternative for those who want to severely restrict
    access to *any* tape drive is to chmod the directory
    of the device, and chgrp it accordingly to permit access to only
    a restricted number of users.  As an example, a startup script
    in /etc/init.d might contain the following to deal with a DLT:

    if [ -d /devices/pci@6,4000/pci@4/SUNW,isptwo@4 ]
      then
    # tape drive (DLT), CPI slot #1, unit 4
      /usr/bin/chmod 750 /devices/pci@6,4000/pci@4/SUNW,isptwo@4
      /usr/bin/chgrp tapedev /devices/pci@6,4000/pci@4/SUNW,isptwo@4
    fi

    and just add your list of allowed uses to the "tapedev" in
    the/etc/group file.  Of course, one could still use the allocate/deallocate
    functions from the bmsconv/C2 package in addition to this.

    -- Tobias J. Kreidl
       Northern Arizona University / Information technology Services