Re: Printer Sharing and M1CR0S0FT Windows98

From: Caskey L. Dickson (caskeyat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 21:30:04 PST

    On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Neale Banks wrote:

    > >         It seems that when you share a printer in windows 98, it'll create a
    > > share called "PRINTER$" - which is actually your C:\Windows\System directory.
    > > It is not password protected and you can view everything in your C:\Windows\System directory... even if your printer is shared with a password.
    >
    > IIRC, this has been around for a long time (not that it excuses its
    > persistence) - the excuse, FWIW, being that the share is used to export
    > the printer's drivers.

    This share does not share everything per se.  Rather it appears to be
    somehow selective.  For example, the password lists (username.pwl) are not
    shared, neither are many of the directories under there.  The
    sub-directories that were shared on my system were:

      VMM32
      IOSUBSYS
      COLOR
      IE4Setup

    The first two contain VXDs (virtual device drivers I believe).  The second
    contains .ICM files, I don't know what they are.  While the last contains
    a directory named plugins and a single DLL.  I believe we did an uninstall
    of IE on this machine so perhaps it used to have the install software for
    IE on it.  That would be a nice feature, automatically share your install
    software for IE.

    Simply placing a file in that directory named x.dll isn't sufficient to
    enable it's appearance in the list.  The entry must be elsewhere, perhaps
    the registry.

    Easy way to make a difficult-to-detect trojan, add more files to the share
    list under PRINTER$ then quitely take the files when nobody is looking.

    > If MS really _must_ do this, then it would it not be smarter to put the
    > printer drivers in a separate directory and export that?

    I would tend to agree with you there.

    C=)

        Heuer's Law: Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.
    Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
    TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|               gpg: aiiieeeeeee!!!
        Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.