Re: WatchGuard Firewall internal D.O.S

From: Karl Stevens (karlat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 11:15:30 PST

    Hello,

    We've have a Watchguard (original) for some time now, and don't see the
    problem you describe.. perhaps it could be a configuration issue?

    Does it happen at other ports as well, or just DNS? - And do you have
    the 'outgoing' icon enabled? (if so, it could be what's causing the
    problem - try just allowing specific traffic, and exclude the firewall
    from the lists of allowed hosts)

    FWIW, the Firebox (original, and probably II as well) is a low-end PC
    running Linux 2.0.3x.. (we built a backup for ours out of an old P100
    and 3com NICs :) .. applying linux know-how to the firebox might save
    you some headaches..

    TTUL
    -Karl

    ps. I agree that talking directly to Seattle Labs doesn't help much at
    first, try going through your dealer - SL is much more responsive to
    dealer inquiries than from end-users (it's the way they're structured...
    configuration problems are handled by the dealers, technical issues are
    handled by SL... since at first glance yours appears to be a
    configuration issue, they might have ignored it until it goes through
    proper channels..)