Bug (Quirk?) w/Novell BorderManager

From: Robert MACDONALD (RMACDONALDat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 09:27:06 PST

    This message is being posted to:
      BUGTRAQat_private
      Netw4lat_private
      Novellat_private

    Problem:
    -------------
    While granting users permission to use BorderManager proxy
    service, I noticed that the BorderManager snapin will grant
    user access through the proxy system with a blank password, by
    viewing the 'Proxy Authentication' tab and without attempting
    to assign a password - even if you cancel, you still grant full
    permission to use the proxy system.

    Only those who run nwadmin with the BorderManager snapin will
    be able to see the additional 3 BM tabs, including the above.

    Discovery:
    ----------------
    Under normal admin circumstances, you would load nwadmin with
    the BorderManager snapin(only the Win95 version will handle the
    snapin at this time?) Find the user object and go into details. Click
    on the 'Proxy Authenication' tab and assign a password. This is
    the password that you need to supply, along with the username
    when the browser prompts you.

    While adding users, I noticed that there wasn't any check box, etc
    to activate the account, only the 'Allow user to change password'
    and 'Force password change every...' check boxes and a change
    password button. So I decided to just click cancel without making
    any changes to see chat would happen.

    When I ran the browser(both IE & Netscape) and was prompted for
    username and password, I typed in the username and no password
    and out I went :-o

    Temporary Fix:
    ----------------------
    If you have 'looked' at the Proxy Authenication tab, then change
    password to some sort of garbage to 'deactivate' the proxy account.

    This really isn't a fix, and you have to remember to do this, or you
    open up a doorway to the world for those who you thought could
    not get there. You still have logging(don't you?) to tell you who is
    accessing thru the proxy server.

    Any user can use anothers 'signon', since these signons/objects
    are not tied together as one in NDS - BM v3.0 I'm told will change
    this.

    Conclusion:
    ------------------
    I have spoken with Novell(Sept 30), who checked/verified this with
    the developers and the answer I received was, we are aware of this,
    and that is the way it was designed(yes these were their words!).

    The snapin assumes that you are granting access when you view
    the Proxy Authentication tab and if you don't assign a password,
    then a blank will be assigned for you - Even If You Cancel! The
    tech I spoke with said the developers weren't sure if this was
    going to be changed in BorderManager v3.0 release.

    Sorry for taking so long to report this.

    Best of Luck!
    Robert

    Robert P. MacDonald (rmacdonaldat_private)
    Systems, Network & Security Engineer
    Perrigo Company, Allegan, Michigan