lightbar vulnerability

From: Config Urator (rootat_private)
Date: Sun Nov 01 1998 - 17:08:39 PST

    Lightbar Vulnerability - Found 11/01/98 by OberphloW (Config Urator)

    any reply to: config@i-p-d.com

    - Gives
            * remote root access

    - How?

            Ok. here we start, i download lightbar, install, configure, and
    run. kewlio, it works and all, suddenly that qute "guest" option gets
    my attention. so i decide to check it out.

            here is the bug. if lightbar doesnt find or cant execute the file
    its supposed to execute for the "guest" account it will just drop
    you a bash! and it doesnt even bother to setuid() setgid() to guest.
    so it drops a REMOTE ROOT BASH to anyone who logs in as guest.

    - How do i make sure sum1 dont use this against me?

            easy, just make sure no1 can erase or change permissons of the
    file that "guest" account will execute.

    - How to fix this if im stupid and want ppl to have +w to the file?

    on: shell.c

    remove lines from: 163 to 170

    att...

    Config Urator (config@i-p-d.com)