Form insecurity in Netscape

From: kelani (kelaniat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 19:25:35 PST

    *resubmitted with the offending paragraph removed, thanks for your
    patience, O phearable one.*

    Greetings all,

    Apologies if it has already been known or was discussed earlier. I see no
    mention in the archive, and it's such an obvious thing...

    In the Netscape Navigator 3.x and Communicator 4.x installations at my
    school, where all users share a common login, Navigator seems to write a
    'nsformXX.tmp' file when a user fills out a form on a webpage. This file
    contains the fields the user filled in as plaintext, and looks like this:

    -----------------------------158841797149

    joe_user
    -----------------------------158841797149

    password
    -----------------------------158841797149--

    etc...

    Scanning through the networked drives brought forth over 1000 such files,
    dating back months; most with complete login and password information to
    users' web mail accounts, personal homepages, and even a few credit-card
    numbers.

    Setting memory / disk cache to various settings, including "0" didn't seem
    to fix the problem, nor did clearing the cache. Also, not all forms seem to
    cause this write-to-disk activity, and the location of these files almost
    always seems to be in the temp directory specified in autoexec.bat

    I've seen this happen on machines running Win 3.1, 95, 98 and NT4 (SP3). I
    haven't had an opportunity to test a Mac, and my Linux box doesn't seem to
    be affected.

    So far, the only workaround I've used is to make sure all such files are
    deleted on shutdown, but that hardly helps the unknowing school/public
    library user much..

    Any ideas?

    Kind regards,

    Kelani