Re: head -c 32 /dev/socksys caused panic?

From: Brandon S. Allbery (allberyat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 18:11:12 PST

    +----- From: A Fortunate K-9 <a42n8k9at_private>
    | I was experimenting with different sources of random data when I ran the
    | following command "head -c 32 /dev/socksys" only to find my system go into
    | a complete panic, crash, and reboot.  I should note that I was logged in as
    | an ordinary user, and the system is Slackware 2.0.34.
    |
    | Has anyone else heard of something like this?
    +--->8

    /dev/socksys is part of iBCS support; I'll forward this to the ibcs dev
    list.  I doubt that anyone paid much attention to it being accessed from
    programs not using the ibcs call gate, although if you don't have ibcs
    loaded it's a kernel problem.

    I don't think anything other than a denial of service due to the panic is
    possible from this, but I haven't examined the most recent TLI emulation
    code.

    --
    brandon s. allbery      [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]     allberyat_private
    system administrator         [WAY too many hats]           allberyat_private