Re: navigator lost (settings)

From: A Mennucc1 (msmat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 04:11:58 PST

    On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 12:06:39PM -0800, Russell Van Tassell wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Bill Becker wrote:
    >
    > > Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 01:05:03 -0500
    > > From: Bill Becker <bbeckerat_private>
    > >
    > > Subject: navigator lost (settings)
    > >
    > > I "upgraded' navigator from vers 4.05 to vers 4.07 on a Linux 2.0.x
    > > system.  The exact navigator i downloaded was:
    > > navigator-v407-us.x86-unknown-linux2.0_libc5.tar.gz
    > >
    > > I set the 'advanced' settings, turning off java, javascript,
    > > stylesheets, autoinstall, and send-email-address-as-passwd.  I also set
    > > 'do not accept or send cookies'.
    > >
    > > Then, while browsing i opened a new browser window by selecting "Navigator
    > > Window" from the file menu and it looked as if javascript had started
    > > working in the new window.
    > >
    > >   [...]
    >
    > Did you try hitting the "save options" line before opening the new
    > window?
    > --
    > Russell M. Van Tassell                          Commercial Systems Corp.

    hi

    I was curious; because the above was sounding strange to me.

    I tried  both communicator4.05 and communicator4.5b2 , which I have at hand
    (english versions on linux2.0).

    I found out that

    1) there is no such thing as a  "save options" button
     (by my checking, the options are saved as soon as you hit the OK button
      in the preferences frame; you cannot open any new window
      while that frame is open)

    2) I cannot replicate the problem: settings are correctly saved
    in the file and propagated to new windows or already existing ones

    3) I have tried this only with  communicator4.5b2
     0) enable java
     1) load something where java is , let it running
     2) open the preferences , go to the 'advanced' section, and disable  java
     3) hit ok
     The browser saves the new settings, and it freezes for , like 60seconds:
     it doesnt even redraw the window if you iconize/deiconize it.
     When it recovers,     java is stopped.

     a.M

    --
    Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL be charged
    a $100 proof-reading fee.  Do NOT send junk email to me - consider this an

    "By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
     definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful
     to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.  By Sec.227(b)(3)(C),
     a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover
     actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation."