Re: lightbar vulnerability

From: Aaron Bornstein (aaronbat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 03:05:51 PST

    On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Config Urator wrote:

    > - How do i make sure sum1 dont use this against me?
    >
    >         easy, just make sure no1 can erase or change permissons of the
    > file that "guest" account will execute.

            While I suppose it's somewhat against the rules of paranoia for
    the program to not die upon discovering the code it's supposed to execute
    is modifiable by non-priveleged users, it speaks volumes for the silliness
    of the security policies that would allow such a thing to happen in the
    first place.

            "Hey, look, I changed ownership of /etc/inetd.conf to this
    unpriveleged user and all of a sudden s/he got root on my machine!  Must
    be a hole in inetd!"

    My $.02.

    --
    Aaron Bornstein