Re: quakeworld/win32 DoS

From: Alexander Sanda (entropyat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 05:58:44 PST

    On 4 Nov 98, at 16:30, Paul Boehm wrote:

    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > # qwsvwin32-crasher by infectedat_private
    > #
    > # usage : ./qwcrash | nc -u host port
    > # result: qwsv for win32 should exit with: ERROR: NET_GetPacket: Unknown error
    > # reason: ? (winsock?)

    Most likely not winsock. The reason for this claim ?

    Well, I tried this with a dedicated Q2 server, and this one doesn't
    crash, instead it reports:

        NET_GetPacket: WSAEMSGSIZE

    A dedicated unreal server reports the same:

        Log: UDP recvfrom error: WSAEMSGSIZE

    So it seems that winsock reports an error, but QW doesn't handle it
    properly.

    (All tests done on NT4/SP4).

    --
    # GNU is not Unix, BSD is.                                             #