Re: X11 cookie hijacker

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 00:06:37 PST

    On Tue, 03 Nov 1998 18:13:54 +1100, David Dawes wrote:
    > I assume from this list that you don't have a real solution?  We've all
    > seen the "potential" solutions before.  The problem doesn't still exist
    > because nobody cares about it.  It still exists because nobody has, to
    > my knowledge, found a real solution to it.

    I consider a solution that leaves my X session open to eavesdropping
    and manipulation worse than a hack that's advertised as breaking some
    minor things but going to go away as soon as a better solution is
    found.

    Second, not all approaches necessarily break things.

     1.     Unix domain sockets could easily abandoned with, provided
            XOpenConnection clandestinely maps "unix:0" to "localhost:0".
     2.     If making /tmp/.X11-unix mode 711 breaks servers that are not
            setuid root, why not at least protect the ones that are?
            How many X servers typically get installed on a single machine?

    AFAIK, most Unix vendors have been able to come up with a solution.
    Not a universal one, but one that works for their servers, and
    apparently doesn't break XOpenConnection big time.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax