Re: another /usr/dt/bin/dtappgather feature!

From: Mike Iglesias (iglesiasat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 09:26:19 PST

    For those of you using Digital Unix, here's what I've found so far
    about the dtappgather bug...

    The patch in 4.0D patch kit 2 fixes the part of the bug that changes
    the ownership of any file to the user running dtappgather, but it does
    *NOT* fix the part that changes the protection on the file.  For
    example, when I tried it using /etc/passwd as the target, the owner
    stayed the same but the protection changed from 644 to 555.  This is
    still a problem, in that you can get read access to any file on the
    system.

    I checked patch kit 8 for 4.0B, and it behaves the same as the patched 4.0D
    dtappgather.

    I still suggest turning off the suid bit on dtappgather until we
    get a fix from Digital.  I have reported this to Digital.

    Mike Iglesias                        Internet:    iglesiasat_private
    University of California, Irvine     phone:       949-824-6926
    Office of Academic Computing         FAX:         949-824-2069