Re: FoolProof for PC Exploit

From: Erik Soroka (erikat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 12:48:36 PST

    On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:55:09 -0500, Krish Jagannathan wrote:

    >I figured this much out -- if you are running on FoolProof for the PC
    >(Win9x) and you boot up in safe mode (with or without network support) it
    >will bypass the FoolProof TSR and enable full privileges, even deleting
    >the FoolProof directory.

    Another point of reference dealing with this program (and a much cleaner
    approach) -- FoolProof for Windows 9x stores the administrator password in
    plaintext in the Windows Swap file.  All you have to do is boot up into safe
    mode (as mentioned above), copy the swap file to a temporary filename, reboot
    into windows and use a hex editor to search the swapfile for the string,
    "FOOLPROO" and right after will be the actual password.

    foolproof - adj.  (1)  "so simple, plain, or reliable as to leave no opportunity
    for error, misuse, or failure..."

    The name of this "security" program doesn't seem to fit the numerous bugs and
    glitches it has -- however it is a neat program with some nice features that
    might come in handy on systems accessible to the public.

    Enjoy.

     Erik M. Soroka  (NIC: ES2600)  |  Voice/Fax: 508.669.5208
     KIREnet Communications Inc.    |  Page/Beep: 978.629.3322
     Web: http://www.kirenet.com    |  E-Mail: erikat_private