Re: tcpd -DPARANOID doesn't work, and never did

From: Wietse Venema (wietseat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 21:18:50 PST

    D. J. Bernstein:
    > The subject line is correct exactly as stated. -DPARANOID does not
    > improve your computer's security. It has never improved anybody's
    > computer security.

    Confronted with evidence that widely-used BIND and NIS software
    wasn't vulnerable to a short TTL attack described in an earlier
    post, Bernstein presents a marginally different attack.

    This game could go on for a long time, but that would be a waste
    of everyone's time.  The TCP Wrapper documentation is very explicit
    about the limitations of unauthenticated IP/DNS.

    One can fix rshd/rlogind against some IP/DNS-based attacks, but
    until IP/DNS with strong authentication are widely deployed, the
    security of such services will low, even when TCP Wrapped.

    > You've done enough damage. Admit your mistake and turn off -DPARANOID.

    I have resisted pressure to change this default for 7+ years.  Now
    that people use tcpd access control for email, I'm reconsidering
    that decision - your friendly request notwithstanding.

            Wietse