Re: Sendmail, lynx, Netscape, sshd, Linux kernel (twice)

From: David S. Miller (davemat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 22:54:02 PST

       From: Andi Kleen <akat_private>
       Date: 10 Nov 1998 21:02:38 +0100

       I'm sorry that is not the full story. In some cases Linux 2.1 TCP
       accept may still return network errors. This patch against 2.1.127
       should fix it (and also fixes another bug). If an asynchronous error
       occurs now after the 3way handshake completion it will be returned on
       the first socket operation after accept.

    I have two problems with this patch:

    1) This changes the behavior of errors between 2.0.x and 2.1.x
       If this is the desired behavior, then we should agree to
       put the same change into 2.0.x as well else we will have
       developers coding their applications in these situations in
       two incompatible ways.  Or worse, they will make their code
       work on one, and thus not in the other.

    2) The unhash's added are spurious, in the newly accepted case
       the receive and write buffers should be empty, therefore the
       destroy_sock() calls will unhash the socket for you.  I don't
       want these added since they are not necessary.  If there is a case
       where the immediate unhash will not happen in destroy_sock(),
       please tell me when that is.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davemat_private