Re: KDE Screensaver vulnerability

From: pedwardat_private
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 13:57:43 PST

    Might I suggest that you put a delay into the program, if the password
    is incorrect.  This way it'll be as difficult as using su to detect if
    you found the correct password.  Brute forcing the password list for
    any given user is more easily accomplished without the delay.  You
    may also want to put some IPC intelligence into the program to detect
    multiple instances running; anyone can write a proggie which spawns
    250 kcheckpass progs, and still get decent throughput.

    Perhaps a shared memory segment with a mutex would work.  And the mutex
    is held the runtime of the program, providing that the UID of the people
    running it are the same (50 different people running it once is OK, 1
    person running it 50 concurrent times is not).

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington        System Software Engineer    zelur xuniL  ()
    http://www.webcom.com  perry.harringtonat_private  Think Blue.  /\