Re: KDE Screensaver vulnerability

From: pedwardat_private
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 16:05:11 PST

    If you have a SYSV semaphore, you can serialize access to the kcheckpass
    program.  I would suggest generating a unique semaphore key based on the
    UID of the process and allowing use of the semaphore by processes in the
    same group (shadow).  The idea works like this:

    - check for semaphore, the key based upon the current process' UID plus a Magic number.
    - if semaphore exists, wait on it.
    - once the lock is obtained, perform the query to the shadow file.
    - if password incorrect, wait n seconds.
    - release semaphore.

    The above sequence serializes access to the shadow file, via UID.

    You'll never have more than one kcheckpass authentication routine running at a time.

    Additional methods include:

    Using POSIX semaphores.
    Shared memory and POSIX mutex locks.
    MMAP of a file and POSIX mutex locks within.
    Lockfiles based upon UID.

    All of these methods can be used to serialize access to the authentication
    function of kcheckpass.

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington        System Software Engineer    zelur xuniL  ()
    http://www.webcom.com  perry.harringtonat_private  Think Blue.  /\