IRIX chost/gr_osview vulnerabilities

From: Klaus (klausat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 20 1998 - 10:55:27 PST

    Hello,

    The SGI osview GUI tools are victim to another familiar Un*x security bug.

    Problem:
    ^^^^^^^^

    When invoked by a privileged user, the osview tools (available under the
    /usr/Cadmin/bin/chost GUI or System -> System Manager from the toolchest
    app.) will create predictable files in /var/tmp, with mode 0777.

    These tools create files in /var/tmp using the syntax
    "IP-address.osview.system".

    for instance,
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     sys           12 Nov 20 13:13 192.24.42.12.os.cpu
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     sys           34 Nov 20 13:13 192.24.42.12.osview.disk
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     sys          107 Nov 20 13:13 192.24.42.12.osview.gen
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     sys           31 Nov 20 13:13 192.24.42.12.osview.net

    Scope:
    ^^^^^^

    A clever user can dupe a sysadmin into overwriting any supposedly
    protected file on the system, such as, say, /etc/passwd, or /unix...
    along with it, the associated mayhem.

    symlink an important file to one of those, wait for a privileged user to
    run the appropriate program, and...

    aruba 60# more /etc/passwd
    disk(/)
    disk(/disk2)
    disk(/disk6)
    aruba 61#

    Solution:
    ^^^^^^^^^

    These files are created to instruct gr_osview what quantities to monitor
    on a running system. Apart from waiting for SGI to change the way
    gr_osview opens/creates files (O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_RDONLY) on the open, and
    a less generous creation mask (0444 would do just as well), the only
    solution is to disable gr_osview entirely. I'm not sure if any other SGI
    admins use it, but I find it handy once in a while. This bug was tested on
    an Indy running 6.2; I haven't tried it on our other systems (Challenges,
    O2, Origins) running different versions of IRIX, but I'd be willing to bet
    they're also vulnerable.

    Klaus

    --
    TODO:
    1) learn how to use my new Unix account.