Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5 can read local files

From: Terence Christopher Haddock (haddockat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 11:22:12 PST

            Ben Collin's file contains the text "this is really stupid.". He's
    running an UNIX version of Netscape, so I had to modify the script.
    Unfortunately, the following does not work under both UNIX and Windows:

    sl=window.open("wysiwyg://1/file://");

            It works under UNIX, but not under Windows. A simple check of the
    OS would take care of the distinction, however, so that wouldn't slow any
    would-be hackers down. Also, if they know their target, then they know
    what kind of OS they're dealing with.

    Sincerely,
    Terence C. Haddock
    University of Delaware