Re: RedHat 5.2 lrzsz-0.12.14-5 have serious security hole

From: Uwe Ohse (uwe@CSL-GMBH.NET)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 23:45:54 PST

    On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 10:16:21PM +0200, Yuri Kuzmenko wrote:

    > lrz (Linux ZMODEM file receiver) from lrzsz package have a security hole
    > with file permission.
    >
    > lrz create file with 0666 mode (world writable)

    No, it doesn't. fopen() is not that buggy.

    > File mode set to normal (specifed by other side) only after downloading.

    correct.

    > my umask is 022

    I don't see a code path which doesn't honor your umask, and testing
    shows that the files get created with (0666 & ~(umask)).

    So what did you do? Can you tell me how to reproduce the behaviour
    you have seen?

    btw: I really like waking up and finding the name of software packages
    i maintain (especially those i only maintain because nobody else did)
    on bugtraq. It's going to be a beautiful day.
    Next time just sent me an email some time before you send it to bugtraq.
    Thank you.

    Regards, Uwe