Re: Nmap network auditing/exploring tool V. 2.00 released

From: Lamont Granquist (lamontgat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 13:40:45 PST

    Another nmap-induced denial-of-service is against many machines inetd's
    when doing a TCP connect() scan (-sT) with the result of killing the inetd
    process.  I've found that Digital Unix and Irix have been vulnerable to
    this.  I cannot reliably reproduce the problem[*] and have not tested it
    against xinetd.

    The work-around for the nmap user is to never use connect() scans, and to
    explicitly use -sS (or one of the other stealth scans) in conjunction with
    -O.  There is no workaround for the system admin of the scanned system
    that I know of, other than automated monitoring for crashed inetds (I'd
    probably use netcat connecting to an inetd service like TCP daytime in a
    loop with appropriate logic and an appropriate response action...).

    [*] I have confirmed that it happens in response to a connect() scan and
        not any other TCP scan type and that it sometimes occurs immediately
        following a connect() scan when the inetd had been verified
        immediately previously to be running fine.

    --
    Lamont Granquist                       lamontgat_private
    Dept. of Molecular Biotechnology       (206)616-5735  fax: (206)685-7344