Re: Nmap network auditing/exploring tool V. 2.00 released

From: Jefferson Ogata (jogataat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 08:42:03 PST

    Sherwood Botsford wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Fyodor wrote:
    >
    > = I have just released version 2.00 of nmap, a program for network
    > = security auditing and general Internet exploration.  Almost all of the
    > = core code has been rewritten for better performance and accuracy, and
    > = many new features have been added.  Here are some of its current
    > = capabilities:
    >
    > Hi.  Any idea why most of my hosts running HPUX 10.10 crashed
    > during a local network scan with
    > nmap -O

    This is a problem also on IRIX 6.5. The machine doesn't crash but
    inetd dies after one or two SYN scans. I talked to SGI about it
    and they recommended turning off the tcpmux and echo ports in
    /etc/inetd.conf, which indeed fixed the problem.

    The bug is fixed in IRIX 6.5.2, according to SGI, and I've been
    unable to kill inetd on an O2 running 6.5.2 using nmap.

    --
    Jefferson Ogata <jogataat_private> National Oceanographic Data Center
    You can't step into the same river twice. -- Herakleitos