Re: Why you should avoid world-writable directories

From: Nick Maclaren (nmm1at_private)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 12:44:26 PST

    Gonzo Granzeau <gonzoat_private> writes:

    > What's really funny is how often programs with 'secure' in the title usually
    > have a few more security problems than normal... `8r)

    I agree that it is amusing, in a cynical sort of way.  My experience is
    that it is almost certainly because the authors (and I am NOT casting
    stones at any particular person here) miss the fundamental rule:

        The security of a program should be measured by how it is used,
        and not how it is written.

    Most people will have installed a new, high-security feature only to
    discover that they have actually reduced security, because they didn't
    have time to study the complete documentation or misunderstood it.
    For example, hands up everyone who has gone around removing the setuid
    bit, and included xterm :-(

    The user interface AND CHECKING FOR USER ERRORS are as much part of
    the security of a program as the way that it manipulates privileges.
    But regrettably few programmers think that it is their business to
    protect hassled and tired system administrators from their own (often
    stupid) mistakes.

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren,
    New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
    Email:  nmm1at_private
    Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679