Re: DCC HiJacking patch for BitchX 75p1

From: YounGoat (youngoatat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 10:48:06 PST

    I can see this being exploited.  I'll give you an example.  You have A who is
    trying to hijack B's DCC to C who is a bot.

    A dcc chat's B.  (he gets the port that that B uses.  And gives that to
    his hijack program which will then go thorough the next 150 ports or so over and
    over)

    A asks B if he is able to DCC chat the bot C.  And asks B to try.

    When B tries to dcc the bot, guess who is right there ready to connect to B and
    give him a "Enter your password."  prompt?

    This is not meant to be a guide for script kiddies, but I do believe this is
    certainly a problem, and the only sure fix is to check the hostname of the
    person connecting or use a password that is given during the DCC request for
    authentication.  Since the latter would involve changing the IRC protocol, I'd
    say irc clients are just going to have to verify that the right person is
    connecting.  With that, the worst thing that could happen is that somebody
    could keep connecting and the irc client would keep rejecting him, possibly
    causing a DOS.

    E-Mail: YounGoat <youngoatat_private>
    Date: 22-Dec-98
    Time: 13:39:09