Re: Why you should avoid world-writable directories

From: Jason Thorpe (thorpejat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 00:50:48 PST

    On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:28:35 +1100
     Darren Reed <avalonat_private> wrote:

     > In a way, that is exactly the type of thing he is referring to, BUT,
     > LOCAL_CREDS must be supplied to be received as opposed to just "looked up"
     > with getpeeruid() (my understanding anyway).

    Yes, they are a control message.  This works well for SOCK_DGRAM, but
    not as well for SOCK_STREAM, since w/ SOCK_STREAM you can connect and
    then never send any data, thus the task wanting the credentials never
    gets them.

    I've considered making SOCK_STREAM credentials available once the connect
    has completed, in the NetBSD implementation.

    Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpejat_private
    Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942