Re: CERT Advisory CA-98.13 - TCP/IP Denial of Service

From: Guido van Rooij (Guido.vanRooijat_private-IT.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 02:18:54 PST

    On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 11:17:48AM +0100, Ulf Munkedal wrote:
    > Have I missed something on the list lately about these illegal packets that
    > CERT are adressing ("constructing a sequence of packets with certain
    > characteristics, an intruder can cause vulnerable systems to crash, hang,
    > or behave in unpredictable ways")?
    >
    > Or is this just the old teardrop/newtear/boink/bonk/nestea2 problem that
    > they are talking about?

    No. This is an entirely new problem. It was discovered by me after a bug
    report for an SMP FreeBSD system. Since I know it is only a matter
    of time before such a bug would be abused, I decided to inform
    CERT (also because the problem has been present since at least the
    BSD Net/2 release). No public exploits are known to me.

    -Guido