Re: netscan.org - broadcast ICMP list

From: W.C. (Jay) Epperson (eppersonat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 11:40:14 PST

    > :http://netscan.org has the first (relatively) complete database of ICMP
    > :directed broadcast networks ("smurf amplifiers").  All allocated IP
    > addresses
    > :ending in .0 or .255 have been pinged and measured, so it's complete short
    > of
    > :pinging the whole 'Net.
    >

    > The people over at Smurf Amplifier Registry
    > ( http://www.powertech.no/smurf/ ) have had such a project going for a
    > pretty long time:
    > --
    > 32508 networks have been probed with the SAR
    > 15969 of them are currently broken
    > 7208 have been fixed after being listed here

    Hmmm.  netscan.org reports 144,047 "broken" networks.  Either their
    effort is on a higher order of magnitude than SAR's, or it all
    depends on what the definition of "network" is....
    --
    W.C. Epperson                   "I have great faith in fools.
    Chief of Systems Engineering     Self-confidence, my friends call it."