Re: netscan.org - broadcast ICMP list

From: eric lindvall (jaegerat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 15:21:41 PST

    > > :http://netscan.org has the first (relatively) complete database of ICMP
    > > :directed broadcast networks ("smurf amplifiers").  All allocated IP addresses
    > :ending in .0 or .255 have been pinged and measured, so it's complete short of
    > :pinging the whole 'Net.
    > >

    > > The people over at Smurf Amplifier Registry
    > > ( http://www.powertech.no/smurf/ ) have had such a project going for a
    > > pretty long time:
    > > --
    > > 32508 networks have been probed with the SAR
    > > 15969 of them are currently broken
    > > 7208 have been fixed after being listed here

    > Hmmm.  netscan.org reports 144,047 "broken" networks.  Either their
    > effort is on a higher order of magnitude than SAR's, or it all
    > depends on what the definition of "network" is....

    Yes, it was on a higher order of magnitude. We probed 7,477,875 networks
    in the course of a couple weeks. For simplicity's sake, and because the
    ``packet monkeys'' don't know any better, we only probed the /24 blocks,
    sending pings to the .0 and .255 of the /24. For the next `round' we will
    be allowing other CIDRs to be probed, and will be adding other features,
    including seaches by AS number, and searches by netblock. We did not
    release this information (or the entire list) immediatly, trying to give
    the admins time to fix their networks, before the kiddies had a chance to
    get at it.

    Real-time probes are another feature we are looking into, but cannot be
    implimented at our current hosted location.

    I thank you all for your time and support of the project. We have received
    a multitude of emails from people thanking us for the site, and telling us
    of their network fixes.

     -eric

    --
    #define IRCNICK "vi"
    #define URL "http://tekniq.net/"

    main() {for(;;fork());}    /* run it sometime.. it's fun */

    "If you can stick your finger in it, you can hang from it."
           --Andrew Hume, USENIX President, on security.