Re: PATH variable in zip-slackware 2.0.35

From: kay (kayat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1999 - 11:29:12 PST

    On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Steven Alexander wrote:

    > I recently downloaded the zip disk version of slackware 2.0.35 and I noticed
    > two entries that I didn't like in the default PATH:     :/usr/andrew/bin
    > and :.
    > The directory /usr/andrew doesn't exist and shouldn't be included in the
    > default path.  Also '.' should never be included in root's default path as
    > it gives the possibility that a user might place a trojan into a his/her
    > home directory or another user writeable  directory.  i.e.: placing a shell
    > script 'more' in their home directory that creates a SUID copy of bash
    > before executing 'more' .  Anyway, placing '.' in your path is a bad idea.

    I will assume you are talking about the Slackware 3.6 distribution...

    The directory /usr/andrew/bin should contain the Andrew User Interface
    System packages. Those are from the Slackware contributed packages,
    slackware-3.6/contrib/auis63L4-*.tgz. Note that they are neither
    maintained or supported by Pat Volkerding but by their respective authors.

    It is not only zip-slack that contains those in the default PATH variable,
    this is found in

    /etc/profile:
    PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/andrew/bin:$OPENWINHOME/bin:/usr/games:."

    /etc/csh.login:
    set path = ( $path /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/andrew/bin $OPENWINHOME/bin/usr/games . )

    Also the dot has been included in the path for all versions in
    the Slackware distribution I've worked with - 3.[456]. Probably it's the
    same with some older ones. The obvious workaround is just to remove those
    entries in system-wide scripts.