Improved icmp time/mask querying program

From: David G. Andersen (danderseat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 16:20:36 PST

    After releasing the ICMP time and mask querying programs, I looked at
    the code again and realized that they possess that special degree of
    ugliness which only comes from sitting around at 3am thinking "I need
    to slop together something to get this done."

    To remedy this, they've just had a complete rewrite, and they're a bit
    better.  To improve the accuracy of time comparisons, the program now
    performs the pings in parallel (performing host resolution as a
    preprocessing step to minimize latency).  This has the added benefit
    of speeding things up quite a bit for lots of hosts.  The two programs
    have also merged into one, "icmpquery", since they had about 95% of
    their code in common.

    It's available from:

     http://www.angio.net/security/icmpquery.c

    (no readme, the source and usage are fairly self-explanatory).
    I haven't tried it on a wide variety of platforms, so if it works
    for you, let me know.  It has been tested under FreeBSD and Linux.
    The old version was tested under Solaris, and most of that code is
    pretty much the same.

       -Dave Andersen

    --
    work: danderseat_private                     me:  angioat_private
          University of Utah                            http://www.angio.net/