Re: SUN almost has a clue! (automountd)

From: Huger, Alfred (Alfred_Hugerat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 15:41:22 PST

            [Huger, Alfred]
     Experience shows that vendors don't move unless the bug is disclosed

            The NAI Labs team which discovered the bug (apparently independently
    of the previous poster) is the former SNI Team, insinuating that we are not
    full disclosure would be entirely incorrect. Take a few minutes and check
    the Bugtraq list archives for the last 2 years, you will see significant
    participation from our team, from the infancy of this list up to now. This
    bug simply did not strike us as an 'immediate post' issue. Had we felt it
    was (and we will still do not think this is the case) we would have released
    an advisory and hopefully received vendor support. If you looked at the 30
    advisories we have released to this list you would note instances where we
    posted with vendor support and instances where we did not. This issue simply
    was not important enough to expedite and post without vendor support.

            And all the script kiddies out there are probably very grateful for
            that

            Garbage, this insinuates we are somehow culpable for break-ins
    because of the 'status-bounce' issue. Perhaps you should re-read the post
    containing the description of the problem. The only 'get-root' here is the
    automount problem for which there has been a patch available for some time.
    If a machine has fallen prey to an attack via automount, the delivery
    mechanism is not the issue here. Not only is this flippant remark
    misdirected, it's cheap.