Re: setuid vs. setgid (was Re: Anonymous Qmail Denial of Service)

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 06:39:09 PST

    On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

    > Venema further claims that ``a set-uid posting program cannot guarantee
    > user identification.'' That claim is false. The user id is provided by
    > the standard UNIX getuid() system call.

    Just to be pedantic, Venema is correct.  "User identification" is a lot
    more than just a getuid() system call as I'm sure you would be well aware.

    If I find some other avenue to obtain a different uid to the one I normally
    use, i.e. exploit some other setuid-root program, getuid() will (if I've
    done my homework) thereafter fail to identity correctly which user is
    sending the email.

    A userid is provided by getuid() but it does not identify the user, just
    the system's internal owner of the process.  Even then, there are better
    choices than getuid() (depending on your POV) to determine "who" the user
    "is".  For example, in any situation where a password is shared (i.e. the
    root password), it is not sufficient to identify a user by uid.

    Maybe getuid() is the "best" you can do, maybe not.  A lot of the OS's
    these days have some sort of audit id which is sometimes less flexible
    than uid's when it comes to change.

    When all email is cryptographically signed (and signitures enforced)
    with keys that are not trivial to guess and aren't easily forged, then
    we will have a better chance of being assured of a "user's identity".