Re: Tripwire mess..

From: CyberPsychotic (mlistsat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 23:31:40 PST

    ~
    ~         I reported this to the author maybe a year and a half ago(?). I
    ~ was evidently not the first as the author already knew about the problem.
    ~         I would recommend against using security tools that are not properly
    ~ maintained. It's probably worth looking at the release date of a package
    ~ before using it and reconsidering if it hasn't been touched within the
    ~ last 6 months or year. There are probably other bugs lurking that the
    ~ author hasn't bothered to fix.
    ~

     yes. After my post to bugtraq I had one private message from a person,
    who pointed me to tripwire-1.3 source code, which is realeased for
    Academic use by visualcomputing. I checked the source out, the bug which I
    mentioned (marked with(*)(among some others) is fixed there(from
    Changelog):

    ~
    ~ 1.3 (release)                          Fri Jul 17 18:02:53 PDT 1998
    ~     fixed database entry consistency bug.
    ~(*)  fixed database filename construction routine.
    ~     made "loosedir" reporting the default.  makes superfluous directory
    ~       changes go away.
    ~     made reports more succinct, and much more quiet when there's nothing
    ~       worth reporting.
    ~     updated manual.
    ~     added Visual Computing Corporation banner to startup.
    ~     eliminated RCS banners for any changed files (RCS no longer being
    ~       the source control system for our source archives).
    ~     pulled out user manual (.doc and .pdf files) out of Tripwire package.
    ~       will be distributed separately.
    ~     removed twdb_check.pl from Tripwire package.
    ~     updated README, README.FIRST, and COAST.info files.
    ~     aux directory is now util, to accommodate DOS FAT filename
    ~       restrictions.

    I think Tripwire just went commercial and they do not feel to update their
    old stuff anymore. I have mirrored the 1-3 version of tripwire at
    http://www.underground.org.kg/security/tripwire if anyone is interested
    (or you could get it from www.visualcomputing.com after filling in some
    webform).

    regards