Re: Anonymous Qmail Denial of Service

From: Antonomasia (antat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 13:43:34 PST

    Dan Bernstein writes on BUGTRAQ:

    >    There are lots of interesting remote denial-of-service attacks on any
    >    mail system. A long-term solution is to insist on prepayment for
    >    unauthorized resource use. The tricky technical problem is to make
    >    the prepayment enforcement mechanism cheaper than the expected cost
    >    of the attacks.

        Hashcash addresses this tricky technical problem.

        http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/hashcash
        http://www.notatla.demon.co.uk/SOFTWARE/software.html

        Hashcash was envisaged as an aid to spam filtering, but I have
        put hooks for it in the program described below to limit
        anonymous DoS attacks.

    > On the bright side, mailers are _not_ permitted to discard messages for
    > frivolous reasons such as full disks. They have to report the problem to
    > the sender, so that the sender can keep the message and try again later.

    Angel, my (non-SMTP) MTA with crypto, relies on positive confirmation that
    a message _was_ delivered correctly.

    Retries are carried out at intervals until the maximum number of retries
    is reached. (Note: number of tries, not timeout.  It makes a difference
    on machines that are sometimes switched off.)

    When the retry limit is reached a new delivery mechanism can be tried
    instead (as defined in a config file), or the message can be silently
    dropped.  This approach is adopted because the MTA is mainly intended for
    anonymous mail so bounces to sender are impossible.

    There are no set[ug]id programs involved.  One (or more) writable directories
    are used for posting outgoing mail because local attacks are out of the
    intended scope.   At additional processing cost you could have a different
    posting directory per user.

     Um, almost forgot - contains cryptographic code by Eric Young and Tim Hudson.

    # Antonomasia   antat_private                      #
    # See http://www.notatla.demon.co.uk/                        #