"solaris 7" name change consequences

From: rick pim (rickat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 07:33:55 PST

    the combination of a few postings to bugtraq in the last two or three
    days triggered my sense of irony. i think there's a small lesson in
    there somewhere as well.

    earlier this week, as part of the "sun almost has a clue" thread, the
    following caught my eye -- casper dik replied to a posting with the
    comment:

      Since tehre's no such thing as Solaris 2.7, I'm surprised it works
      tehre.  Did you perhaps try it on the beta?

    strictly speaking, of course, he's right -- some marketroids at sun
    chose not to call this release of solaris by its obvious name. there
    are, however, consequences to this. in particular, the operating
    system is still called SunOS 5.7 (at least, it is according to
    uname -a) even though the whole package isn't called "solaris 2.7".

       shortly after casper's post, bruce barnett started a small thread
    when he posted his "CheckPatches" utility -- a couple of scripts that
    examine the local system, ftp to sun, fetch the relevant patch report,
    and then produce a listing of existing security patches that are not
    installed on the local system. it seemed like a nice idea, so i
    decided to test it. my test machine is my desktop box, which is
    running (in deference to sun purists) 5.7.

       of course, it doesn't work. the sun patch reports are in files with
    filename
       SolarisXX.PatchReport
    where XX is the version of solaris. not surprisingly, bruce's script
    calculates XX by subtracting 3 from the output of uname -r. this
    works for all versions of solaris but _not_ solaris "2.7", since the
    patch reports are in
       Solaris7.PatchReport
    and so the script fails.

    this morning, my morning mail had a bugtraq posting from ronan
    waide containing a utility _he_ wrote which purports to do about
    the same thing. his version uses the XX_Recommended.README
    files and contains the following code:
     # Gah. SunOS $osver is 5.x instead of Solaris' 2.x. I guess subtract 3...
     $osver = $osver - 3 if ( $os eq 'SunOS' );
    so it's entirely possible (i don't see a solaris 7 Recommended.README
    file so i can't be sure) that this will break as well.

      john riddoch mentioned sun's "patchdiag". i took a fast look at that
    and found that
      - it's not available in source
      - it's over a megabyte in size (even after throwing away the redundant
        copy of its own tar file that sun kindly includes in the kit)
      - it can produce misleading results: on my just-installed 5.7 system, it
        tells me:
         Patch  Ins Lat Age  Require    Incomp  Synopsis
           ID   Rev Rev        ID         ID
         ------ --- --- --- --------- --------- ----------------------------------
         All security patches installed!
        when there are at least two that are outstanding. i don't know that
        this is at all related to the "version number" issue, but it's
        not a particularly good sign.

    that's a lot of words for not much, but i think it's a small sort of
    cautionary tale: in less than two days, two security tools have been
    posted which require rewrites because of a marketing decision to
    change the relationship between the operating system version numbers
    and the label on the packaging. how many other things will break?
    wait and see, i guess.

    rick pim                                           rickat_private
    information technology services                          (613) 533-2242
    queen's university, kingston