Re: Anonymous Qmail Denial of Service

From: D. J. Bernstein (djbat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 09 1999 - 14:12:31 PST

    Perry E. Metzger writes:
    > You attacked Postfix for being subject to a DoS attack.

    I pointed out that the IBM Secure Mailer allowed local users to

       * anonymously destroy messages accepted by the MTA from other users;
       * obtain traffic information that some sites consider private;
       * on some UNIX variants, charge mail to the wrong user; and
       * under specialized circumstances, steal unreadable files.

    Which of these are you calling a ``denial-of-service attack,'' Perry?

    I did mention, as part of the first two attacks, how to anonymously slow
    down the IBM Secure Mailer drop-directory daemon by making many links in
    the queue. (Other people pointed out bugs that let a user anonymously
    force the daemon to exit.) But I didn't criticize the IBM Secure Mailer
    for allowing this denial-of-service attack; I brought it up merely to
    make clear that an attacker could easily win races with the daemon.

    (Amusing historical note: On 12 June 1997, the IBM Secure Mailer author
    publicly suggested that his MTA was immune to denial-of-service attacks.
    Namely, after I said ``There are literally dozens of denial-of-service
    attacks on all Internet mail systems, including Wietse's VaporMail,'' he
    said ``You did not get a copy so you can't possibly know its resource
    limiting features.'')

    Anyway, Perry, you've also claimed in public that these security holes
    are just my imagination; that they ``aren't real security issues''; and
    that they ``were understood during the alpha test.'' Would you like to
    explain these statements to the bugtraq readership?

    ObSecurity: In the two weeks after my first public statement of these
    security holes, the IBM Secure Mailer was changed in three ways:

       * The world-writable drop directory was made unreadable. The IBM
         Secure Mailer author called this a ``solution'' and claimed that
         inode numbers offer 15 bits of randomness. In fact, on almost all
         UNIX systems today, inode numbers are trivially predictable. This
         is security through obscurity.

       * Multiply linked files were delivered rather than removed. The only
         effect of this change is that ``anonymously destroy messages'' is
         now ``anonymously duplicate messages.'' Much less frightening, of
         course; but the drop directory still isn't secure.

       * The world-writable drop directory was _optionally_ replaced by a
         setgid program writing to a group-writable directory. This is a
         real solution, if the setgid program is secure. But---perhaps
         because of religious views about multiple-process inefficiency and
         setuid/setgid insecurity---this isn't the default!

    The bottom line is that the IBM Secure Mailer remains insecure. IBM
    still hasn't put any security alerts on the IBM Secure Mailer download
    pages; they merely mention that the latest update fixes ``one directory
    permission mistake.'' Do they not understand that they're practically
    begging the security community to publish exploit scripts?

    ``Postfix is still in beta,'' some people respond. So what? IBM engaged
    in a massive press campaign to advertise this software. They said that
    sendmail had ``nasty bugs'' that did ``dumb things'' such as ``delete
    files.'' They encouraged people to download and install the IBM Secure
    Mailer instead. They didn't say ``By the way, it's still in beta test,
    and so we aren't taking security seriously.''

    ---Dan