Re: Tracing by uid u after root does setuid(u)

From: Wietse Venema (wietseat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 12:11:40 PST

    The possibility of attacks after setuid() has to be addressed by
    any program that controls sensitive information.

    For example, many years ago I fixed my version of the UNIX login
    and other programs [1] so that they would not dump core. This to
    avoid dumping core with stdio buffers containing shadow password
    file information.

    The use of ptrace hooks on once-privileged processes was discussed
    in my Murphy USENIX paper [2]. At the time I could not offer a
    fool-proof solution. If process tracing attacks can be stopped by
    making executable files unreadable, then I have learned useful new
    information from this list for which I am grateful.

    Regarding the MMDF/Bellovin/Spafford gate program to chdir() through
    a protected directory: it is my understanding that the gate program
    is set-gid, and that it creates a user-owned file in a world-writable
    submission subdirectory.

    If the gate program can be kept simple enough that it can retain
    set-gid privilege, then it should be immune to process tracing
    attack regardless of executable file permissions.  And with set-gid
    privilege retained by the submission program, the world-writable
    submission subdirectory can be avoided entirely.

            Wietse

    [1], [2]: See ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/security/index.html.