Re: WebRamp M3 remote network access bug

From: James Egelhof (jegelhofat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 12:20:56 PST

    On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, John Stanley wrote:

    > If you are using this box, and you see this bug, and you have NOT changed
    > the admin password from the default, DO SO IMMEDIATELY.

    You obviously can't do anything interesting with the CLI unless you have
    the password.  However, the WebRamp (at least Entre, the ISDN version,
    which is what I use) includes a default username of "wradmin" and password
    of "trancell."  This gives you full access to the device, either through
    the CLI or the Windows management software (which seems to use the CLI).

    You can use the CLI to set up a "Remote Office" connection profile.  If
    you do this, you can make the WebRamp call up a remote site and attach it
    to your network.  Or, you could change the ISP phone number to something
    else, and thereby get the WebRamp to divulge your password.  Other uses
    for this access are pretty obvious.

    The real security issue is the presence of the default password, the
    documentation's lack of insistence on changing it, and the
    difficulty/impossibility of restricting access to the CLI.

    Our experiences with Ramp Network's tech support, on other issues, have
    been less than ideal.

    -james

    ---

    James Egelhof                                            jegelhofat_private
    Cloud 9 Consulting, Inc.                                   +1 (914) 696-4000
    White Plains, New York                                 http://www.cloud9.net