Re: Outlook 98 Security "Feature"

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 14:02:22 PST

    --==_Exmh_1954492262P

    On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:47:46 PST, you said:
    > > From: Todd Beebe [mailto:toddat_private]
    > > After successfully receiving incoming email which is signed and
    > > encrypted(Using Verisign Certificates on both ends), the

    > Since the error message from Outlook means that it can't find the keys of
    > any of the recipients in order to encrypt the reply, exactly _how_ do you
    > expect it to do so?

    Now, I may mis-understand public key encryption, but..

    If it was *signed* and *encrypted* both, that means it was encrypted
    with the other person's private key to sign, then your public key to
    encrypt.

    You then decrypt with your private key, and verify signature with the
    other person's public key.  If it was received correctly, you must
    have both of these keys.

    So why don't we have our private key and the other person's public key
    when it comes time to send an ecrypted/signed reply?

    --
                                    Valdis Kletnieks
                                    Computer Systems Senior Engineer

    --==_Exmh_1954492262P

    -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBNqej7dQBOOoptg9JAQGofQQAwCZ/b+KWSH7eFQpfEFZsB0UFMywGzWzD
    pZhT48sTziin3DelRUIIJdSOs05lWa1lw6S8wlIiluuFzzUNQ74tzzb4mo2J7iKh
    uRaHz9+xwWwC0rxbIm7xe6B+yVDFOs0r6ld0ahgxQ4s1F80Xwf3ZCOPENlxl3x6n
    j6uHhFgprPs=
    =eeS1
    -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

    --==_Exmh_1954492262P--