Re: SSH 1.x and 2.x Daemon

From: Jim Bourne (jbourne@AFFINITY-SYSTEMS.AB.CA)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 13:24:00 PST

      Send mail to mimeat_private for more info.

    ---439393530-1362609918-917299440=:6265

    On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, KuRuPTioN wrote:

    > There seems to be incomplete code in the SSH daemon in both versions 1.2.27
    > and 2.0.11 (only tested).  The bug simply allows users who with expired
    > accounts (in /etc/shadow) to continue to login even though other such
    > services such as ftp and telnet deny access.  Here is the log using 1.2.27
    > (but the same happens with 2.0.11).

    Hi,
    I had emailed them about this and here is the response:

    ________________
    Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:38:08 +0300 (EET DST)
    From: Tero Kivinen <kivinenat_private>
    To: Jim Bourne <jbourneat_private>
    Subject: ssh on linux

    Jim Bourne writes:
    > I've been playing with SSH on my home system, and found a problem with
    > compiling it under Linux 2.0.33 (redhat 4.2 in this case).  Since shadow
    > support can be turned on fairly easily (pwconv5) and the struct spwd does
    > include shadow aging and expiry information, I thought it would be better to
    > have these turned on when using autoconf.

    Linux shadow password maintainer said earlier that we must turn off
    shadow password checking and always use the shadow password functions,
    just so that you can turn shadow password on later. Currently the
    configure.in checks that if we are in linux and we have getspnam
    function then we turn shadow password on always, and otherwise we
    don't turn it on. So I didn't remove that
    no_shadows_password_checking=yes line from the configure.

    [snip]

    --
    kivinenat_private                               Work : +358-9-4354 3218
    SSH Communications Security                  http://www.ssh.fi/

    They do know that it does work under Linux and choose to leave it out.

    > Any solutions (patch?) to this problem would be appreciated.  Currently I
    > just run a shell script to change the user's shell to deny them, but this
    > shouldn't be necessary since this is one of the listed features of the
    > Shadow Utilities.

    I have attached a patch, that simply checks for the presence of shadow
    passwords and sets the appropriate defines.  It does work on Linux 2.0.37pre
    and redhat 5.1/5.2.  You will have to have autoconf and re-run it to build a
    new configure script.

    Regards
    Jim

    > Thanks.
    > Raymond T Sundland

    James Bourne                  | Email:  jbourne@affinity-systems.ab.ca
    Affinity Systems Inc.         | WWW: http://www.affinity-systems.ab.ca
    Everything Unix               | Linux:  The choice of a GNU generation
    Unix System Administration, System programming, Network Administration

    ---439393530-1362609918-917299440=:6265

    ZGlmZiAtcnVOIHNzaC0xLjIuMjYub3JpZy9jb25maWcuaC5pbiBzc2gtMS4y
    LjI2L2NvbmZpZy5oLmluDQotLS0gc3NoLTEuMi4yNi5vcmlnL2NvbmZpZy5o
    LmluCVR1ZSBOb3YgIDMgMDk6MTE6MTYgMTk5OA0KKysrIHNzaC0xLjIuMjYv
    Y29uZmlnLmguaW4JVHVlIE5vdiAgMyAwOTowODo0MyAxOTk4DQpAQCAtMTIz
    LDYgKzEyMyw5IEBADQogLyogRGVmaW5lIHRoaXMgdG8gYmUgdGhlIHBhdGgg
    b2YgdGhlIHJzaCBwcm9ncmFtIHRvIHN1cHBvcnQgZXhlY3V0aW5nIHJzaC4g
    Ki8NCiAjdW5kZWYgUlNIX1BBVEgNCiANCisvKiBEZWZpbmUgdGhpcyB0byBi
    ZSB0aGUgcGF0aCB0byB0aGUgcGFzc3dkIHByb2dyYW0gKi8NCisjdW5kZWYg
    UEFTU1dEX1BBVEgNCisNCiAvKiBEZWZpbmUgdGhpcyB0byBiZSB0aGUgcGF0
    aCBvZiB0aGUgeGF1dGggcHJvZ3JhbS4gKi8NCiAjdW5kZWYgWEFVVEhfUEFU
    SA0KIA0KZGlmZiAtcnVOIHNzaC0xLjIuMjYub3JpZy9jb25maWd1cmUuaW4g
    c3NoLTEuMi4yNi9jb25maWd1cmUuaW4NCi0tLSBzc2gtMS4yLjI2Lm9yaWcv
    Y29uZmlndXJlLmluCVR1ZSBOb3YgIDMgMDk6MTE6MTYgMTk5OA0KKysrIHNz
    aC0xLjIuMjYvY29uZmlndXJlLmluCVR1ZSBOb3YgIDMgMDk6MDg6NDMgMTk5
    OA0KQEAgLTIwMCw3ICsyMDAsNiBAQA0KICAgICBpZiB0ZXN0ICRhY19jdl9m
    dW5jX2dldHNwbmFtID0geWVzOyB0aGVuDQogICAgICAgQUNfREVGSU5FKEhB
    VkVfRVRDX1NIQURPVykNCiAgICAgZmkNCi0gICAgbm9fc2hhZG93c19wYXNz
    d29yZF9jaGVja2luZz15ZXMNCiAgICAgQUNfQ0hFQ0tfRlVOQ1MocHdfZW5j
    cnlwdCwgcHdlbmNyeXB0PXllcykNCiAgICAgaWYgdGVzdCAkYWNfY3ZfZnVu
    Y19wd19lbmNyeXB0ID0gbm87IHRoZW4NCiAgICAgICBBQ19DSEVDS19MSUIo
    c2hhZG93LCBwd19lbmNyeXB0LCBbDQpAQCAtNDU5LDYgKzQ1OCwxMSBAQA0K
    ICAgQUNfREVGSU5FX1VOUVVPVEVEKFBBU1NXRF9QQVRILCAiJFBBU1NXRF9Q
    QVRIIikNCiBmaQ0KIA0KK0FDX1BBVEhfUFJPRyhQQVNTV0RfUEFUSCwgcGFz
    c3dkKQ0KK2lmIHRlc3QgLW4gIiRQQVNTV0RfUEFUSCI7IHRoZW4NCisgIEFD
    X0RFRklORV9VTlFVT1RFRChQQVNTV0RfUEFUSCwgIiRQQVNTV0RfUEFUSCIp
    DQorZmkNCisNCiBBQ19QQVRIX1BST0coWEFVVEhfUEFUSCwgeGF1dGgpDQog
    aWYgdGVzdCAtbiAiJFhBVVRIX1BBVEgiOyB0aGVuDQogICBBQ19ERUZJTkVf
    VU5RVU9URUQoWEFVVEhfUEFUSCwgIiRYQVVUSF9QQVRIIikNCkBAIC01MzIs
    NiArNTM2LDcgQEANCiBlbHNlDQogICBBQ19NU0dfUkVTVUxUKG5vKQ0KIGZp
    DQorDQogDQogaWYgdGVzdCAteiAiJG5vX3NoYWRvd3NfcGFzc3dvcmRfY2hl
    Y2tpbmciOyB0aGVuDQogICBBQ19NU0dfQ0hFQ0tJTkcoZm9yIHNoYWRvdyBw
    YXNzd29yZHMpDQo=
    ---439393530-1362609918-917299440=:6265--