Re: IE4 Persistent Connection Bug

From: Justin Dolske (dolskeat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 13:53:30 PST

    On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Drazen Kacar wrote:

    > >      The browser will display "abcde," and the IE logo will stop
    > >      circulating. However, the connection will not -- as requested by the
    > >      server -- close. If you issue another page request in the browser for
    >
    > You mean "as requested by the origin server." Connection header is hop-by-hop,
    > which means that it has a meaning for a connection between origin server
    > and proxy server only.

    I included this in my original example just to clarify that MIE shouldn't
    be attempting to make a persistant connection "through" the proxy. This
    header is not needed to cause the behaviour in question, however.

    > It doesn't. Your netcat "proxy" violates it. Here's a quote from RFC 1945:
    >
    >   Except for experimental applications, current practice requires that
    >   the connection be established by the client prior to each request and
    >   closed by the server after sending the response.

    Yes, but that doesn't address what the client should do if it wants to
    send a second request but the connection has not yet closed. Consider that
    network latency may result in the server's/proxy's FIN being delayed --
    the client would still send the request, even though the connection is
    being closed. From the client's point-of-view, it can't tell the
    difference between a delayed close and netcat not closing the connection
    at all.

    The point is not who should be closing the connection, but that MIE is
    sending a second request over a connection that has not been negotiated to
    be persistant.

    Justin Dolske   (dolskeat_private)
    MCI WorldCom Advanced Networks                 Interlock Firewall Development

    Windows 95: n.
     32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
     8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
     written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.