Re: Microsoft Critical Updater Security

From: Carson Gaspar (carsonat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 18:50:56 PST

    Gale> The behaviour you describe occured because at some point, you or someone
    Gale> else who uses your computer told Windows to trust all content from
    Gale> Microsoft.  The wait and restart was indeed an update to Windows Update.
    Gale> To prevent this in the future, you will have to open in IE4
    View> Internet Options>Content>Certificate>Publishers and remove the
    Gale> publishers you no longer want to trust.

    Not true. I can confirm this. It transferred _something_  and then
    asked if I wanted to restart. After that, I got the usual "do you want
    to trust this ActiveX control" message before it scanned my system for
    new updates.

    Something else is going on.

    --
    Carson Gaspar -- carsonat_private carsonat_private carsonat_private
    http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~carson/home.html