Password manager big lie.

From: ET LoWNOISE (etat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 21:56:48 PST

    [LOWNOISE] Advisory:
    etat_private
    by ET.
    			PADLOCK-IT 1.01
    			===============

    DISCLAIMER: Learn, there are dark things behind a nice GUI.

    Well, maybe this isnt a topic for bugtraq but many people is
    using this kind of programs to protect all kind of passwords.
    (Dial-up passwords, UNIX accounts, etc etc etc..............)
    This is just a quick note about this product. Im going deeper
    later.

    PRODUCT:	PADLOCK-IT Version 1.01 1998
    		1998 WinWare Inc.
    		1998 eEye Digital Security Team <---- Hmmmm!!
    		     http://www.eEye.com

    PROBLEM: 	Poor Implementation of TWOFISH
                    (Counterpane Systems) encryption

    		Windows 95, 98 and NT. It remembers
    	        all your passwords in a single, easy
    		to use interface. It protects your
    		passwords using encryption and fixes
    		many loop holes in windows applications
    		password management.

    Well, im not a guru on cryptoanalisys but theres something
    wrong about PadLock-it. I agree that it has a really cool
    GUI and its easy to use. But its opening new problems on
    password managment.

    First, remeber that now all the passwords will be encrypted
    on 1 file called Padlock-it.dat so any person can grab this
    file and analize it using just a text editor.

    Padlock-it.dat (EXAMPLE)
    =========================

    [General]
    Version=1.01
    MP=588b1c441a

    [Options]
    TrayIcon=1
    Confirm=0
    Startup=1
    Quick Tips=1

    [Accounts]
    prueba=4a0e54f8„…4a0e54f8625f
    prueba1=5d2bd3e4e7„…4a169a9f8901
    prueba2=4a169a9f„…3db126d6f1fc83a4
    enter=588b1c441a„…588b1c441a
    noise=5554c02c0b„…5554c02c0b

    First problem:
     THEY ARE NOT USING A RANDOM SEED BETWEEN USERID AND HIS PASSWORD

     example:
     prueba = 4a169a9f__ 4a169a9f8900
              root       root98

     If there are some weak passwords:
     U can guess what is the weak password for a especified USER
     Remember that is easy to have some USER IDs just because
     other programs will give u that kind of info.

    Second problem:
     THEY ARE NOT USING A RANDOM SEED BETWEEN ACCOUNTS

     example:
     prueba1= 5d2bd3e4e7__ 4a169a9f8901
              admin        root98

     So here is more help to have an idea to find the passwords

    Third problem:
      U CAN KNOW THE FIRST LETTER (and sometimes the SECOND too)
      OF ANY USER ID AND THE PASSWORD (THIS INCLUDE THE MASTER
      PASSWORD MP= "Take a look at the Padlock-it.dat (EXAMPLE)")

      Weell there is no random seed (IMPORTANT PART ON ANY CRYPTO-THING)

      So here is it a very little table:

         1st letter      encrypted
    	a		5d
    	b		5f
    	c		5e
    	d		59
    	e		58
    	f		5a
    	g		5b
    	h		51
    	i		50
    	j		52
    	k		53
    	l       	57
    	m               56
    	n		55
    	o		54
    	p		48
    	q		49
    	r		4a
    	s		4b
    	t		4d
    	u		4c
    	v		4f
    	w		4e
    	x		46
    	y	        47
    	z		44

    Another problem:
    	U KNOW HOW MANY CHARACTERS ARE IN THE USER ID AND THE
            PASSWORD AND THE MASTER PASSWORD.

            Count the characters on the encrypted password,
            divide it by 2.

      	example:
    		prueba=4a0e54f8„…4a0e54f8625f

                           r***      r*****

                    prueba1=5d2bd3e4e7„…4a169a9f8901

                            a****       r*****
    Another problem:
    	THEY SAY (On HELP):
                       I can only enter 5 characters for my master
                       password, why?

                       The evaluation version of PadLock-it™
                       is limited to 40 bit encryption, only US
                       full versions of PadLock-it™ support 128
                       bit encryption, which translates into 16
                       character passwords.

           SO U KNOW THE FIRST LETTER OF THE MP SO A BRUTE FORCE
           ATTACK IS EASY TO DO TO FIND THE NEXT 4 CHARACTERS.

    Another problem:
           THEY SAY (On HELP):
    		I forgot my master password, can I get it
    		back?

    		No, PadLock-it uses a state of the art security
    		that is unbreakable, no one can get your master
    		password. Not even the developers of PadLock-it.

            WHEN U ENTER TO EDIT AN ACCOUNT PADLOCK DECRYPT THE
    	USERID AND IT SHOW YOU ON CLEAR TEXT.

    	THE MP USES THE SAME TWOFISH ENCRYPTION WITHOUT SEED
    	LIKE THE ACCOUNTS:

    		[General]
    		Version=1.01
    		MP=588b1c441a    "guess the password"

    		[Accounts]
    		enter=588b1c441a„…588b1c441a
    			"enter"	   "enter"

            THE MP JUST WORK TO AUTENTICATE YOU, IT HAS NO JOB
            ON LATER ENCRYPTION.

            CONCLUSION:
    		IF THEY DECRYPT THE USER ID, THEY CAN BREAK
    		THE MP.!!!!!

    	NOTE:
    		THEY SAY:

    		What Encryption algorythm does PadLock-it™ use?

    		PadLock-it™ uses the latest release of Twofish
    		encryption from Counterpane Systems.
    		BRUCE SCHNEIER is the president of Counterpane
    		Systems, the author of Applied Cryptography
    		(John Wiley & Sons, 1994 & 1996), and the
    		developer of Blowfish and Twofish.

    		WELL THEY ARE JUST USING THE POPULARITY OF A
    		GREAT DUDE... Twofish its c00l... the
    		implementation on this proggy just sucks.

    Efrain `ET` Torres
    LoWNOISE Colombia.
    etat_private
    1999