Re: 2.2.0 SECURITY (fwd)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 17:12:20 PST

    On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > And here it is my race-fix against linux-2.2.0 (that I written today and
    > last night). I am not able to cause process to go in D state or Oopses or

    The fix I posted some hour ago is still perfectly working and safe but as
    pointed out by Stephen C. Tweedie I don't need a new finegrined spinlock
    (mm_lock) to be atomic between tsk->mm = &init_mm and mmput() because we
    just have the big kernel lock held in the interesting places. Note: my new
    mm_lock is still fine but it's _not_ strictly needed, is just a bit of
    overhead (zero in an UP compilation). The other part of the patch
    (array.c) instead is still _strictly_ needed to not Oops and/or crash.

    Andrea Arcangeli