Win98 Screensaver - A Interesting Problem

From: Ollie Whitehouse (Ollieat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 04:27:12 PST

    All,

    Sorry if this that appeared before...

    This is only a preliminary assessment of the problem, I don't have time to
    investigate further at the moment so I thought i'd pass it out to let
    someone how may have time play a little.

    OS : Windows 98
    Patches : All except the virtual machine update
    Screensaver : Scrolling Marquee

    Problem :
    I have a open dos box running a copy of dos edit (focus under Windows is
    placed on this), when I come back
    and type in the password the screen saver password box does not pop up after
    the first key press to accept this
    password (strange yes, but by which time I had typed the password). I moved
    the mouse the box popped up, typed in my password and all was fine (or so I
    thought). Instead I looked in the DOS window and what did I see? my
    screensaver password which I had typed the first time.

    Strange but true... seems to be a problem with the way Windows executes the
    screensaver, it does not seem to take the focus away from the DOS sessions
    for some reason.

    Rgds

    Ollie
    ----/