Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 07:26:39 PST

    At 11:02 PM 2/9/99 +0100, Casper Dik wrote:

    >>Consider another interesting case - there are several sendmail exploits
    >>(circa 8.6) which require hardware and platform-specific eggs.  We
    >>obviously would have a hard time actually implementing these, and it would
    >>be very difficult to make it reliable - so we do a banner check.
    >
    >Why do you need an egg?  Just stuffing down too much data down
    >sendmail's throat will make it crash.  Connection closed - has bug.

    If we do that, then it won't be around to check for other things.  It could
    be done last, but at this point, if we find a sendmail that old, you just
    need to either shut it down or update it.  Perhaps a better example would
    be exploits which require local access (also a number of these in that time
    frame) - it would then require some sort of shell to really exploit, which
    isn't practical for a network scanner.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private